Welcome to the Monday edition of our Oklahoma DieHards morning roundup, where we take you through all the biggest headlines around Oklahoma athletics.
One NFL team could be targeting former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield in the NFL draft. The New York Jets traded to move from No. 6 to No. 3 overall, and most NFL analysts believe a quarterback is on their mind.
Mayfield is just one of several elite quarterback prospects at the top of this year’s draft. However, the Jets have taken an interest in him. If the Jets drafted Mayfield No. 3, he would have a great chance to come in and compete for a starting job right away.
- Former Oklahoma standout Adrian Peterson told ESPN’s First Take that he wants to finish his career with the Houston Texans. All Day has lived in Houston for a decade.
- At least one analyst isn’t high on Oklahoma’s quarterback situation. Dallas Morning News writer Adam Grosbard thinks Kyler Murray will struggle to keep up with TCU’s Shawn Robinson and Baylor’s Charlie Brewer as first-year starters.
Trae Young mulling
Oklahoma point guard Trae Young’s season ended in the first round of the NCAA tournament last week. However, at least one person doesn’t want this to be the last game of Young’s Sooners career.
Young’s father, Rayford Young, told Yahoo Sports’ Pat Forde that he wants his son to consider coming back for his sophomore season. The freshman standout was a first-team All-American this season and led the nation in points and assists per game. However, Rayford Young wants Trae to consider coming back to win national player of the year.
- Oklahoma men’s basketball is targeting Maine graduate transfer Aaron Calixte, per CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein. He averaged 16.9 points per game last season and would be immediately eligible.
- No. 16 women’s golf came from behind to win the Clover Cup title in Arizona after Julienne Soo eagled the No. 18 hole. Soo also won the individual event with a 211 total.
- Softball’s win streak is up to 15 after downing five teams in the Easton Tournament. The Sooners beat Cal State Northridge, DePaul, Nebraska, Ohio State and Cal State Fullerton by a combined 43-5.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Fullback Dimitri Flowers
Stars have never meant anything. I was a 3-star coming out and proved everyone wrong in my time at Oklahoma. Keep that same fire and you’ll do big things. https://t.co/a9saAhSA6Q
— Dimitri Flowers (@treeflowers36) March 18, 2018
Offensive assistant Shane Beamer
Moved into our new house last week. Been unpacking boxes this weekend …Found one of sports magazines I've saved over the years …It's amazing how many magazines with @OU_Football on the cover I found !!! #BoomerSooner #InTheSpotlight #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/3r0AfVOZKD
— Shane Beamer (@CoachSBeamer) March 18, 2018
Quarterback Kyler Murray
Reason behind it all.
— Kyler Murray (@TheKylerMurray) March 18, 2018
Miss a recent edition of the morning roundup? Check out all of our previous editions here.
The post Potential landing spot for Baker Mayfield; Trae Young weighing options appeared first on Diehards.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.