FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas heads to South Carolina for the first time since 2012 this week for a game against the Gamecocks. The two teams are evenly matched. Las Vegas oddsmakers have the Razorbacks as about a 2-point favorite as of Wednesday.
In the latest SEC Country Power Poll, our voters ranked South Carolina eighth and Arkansas ninth. Considering that the Razorbacks play Alabama and Auburn in subsequent weeks, Arkansas could really use a win at South Carolina.
In the video above, SEC Country beat reporters Eric Bolin and Trent Shadid discuss how much the South Carolina game means for the rest of the season and offer quick thoughts on the start of basketball practice.
If Arkansas loses to South Carolina, Hogs have steep mountain to climb
South Carolina’s offense has been a real bugaboo since losing wide receiver Deebo Samuel for the season. The Gamecocks rank 13th in the 14-team SEC in scoring. Their offensive line doesn’t do a great job of protecting quarterback Jake Bentley, either, having allowed 15 sacks this year.
Arkansas must take advantage. If the Hogs can’t pressure Bentley, South Carolina might have an easy time moving the ball against an Arkansas defense that has been vulnerable through the air.
It doesn’t matter how Arkansas beats South Carolina. But if the Razorbacks have any hope of this season becoming a success, coach Bret Bielema must engineer a victory Saturday.
- Start – This is the most important game of the season. That’s not an overstatement.
- 1:00 – The Razorbacks are favored. This might one of the last times all season where that’s the case. Arkansas can’t squander this opportunity, especially with South Carolina banged up.
- 2:45 – The Gamecocks lost to Texas A&M last week by a touchdown. Guess who else just lost to Texas A&M by a touchdown? This isn’t a walkover.
- 5:45 – We believe Austin Allen is a quality quarterback. His counterpart on Saturday is a pretty good one.
- 7:00 – The Hogs’ defensive line versus South Carolina’s offensive line might be the key matchup of the game.
- 9:00 – Low-scoring game, right? Our crew thinks it’s going to be about somewhere around 28-24 or 24-21. Don’t touch the Vegas line.
The post Sound Off: Arkansas, Bret Bielema need a win at South Carolina appeared first on SEC Country.