COLUMBIA, S.C. — On Sunday night, South Carolina football coach Will Muschamp held his weekly teleconference with reporters.
Here’s what the Gamecocks second-year coach had to say:
- Opening: “Going back and reviewing the tape, our guys competed and played extremely hard in the game. We had our opportunities on both sides of the ball. … You’ve got a 10-point lead and a 7-point lead, you’ve got to finish better.”
- Running the ball is an issue. Pressure on the quarterback is, too. Muschamp said Jake Bentley has to get rid of the ball on a couple of different plays. Two more were on running backs. They gave up 7 total.
- “We’re an efficient throwing outfit, as far as those things are concerned.”
- “Defensively, I thought we played very well in the first half.” Muschamp added that there were two mental errors on the scoring drive in the first half.
- “We’ve got to fill up the zones better, as far as the pass-rush lanes are concerned,” Muschamp said, referring to the quarterback runs by Texas A&M.
- The coverage teams against the Aggies/Christian Kirk went well.
- “We need to restart and refocus on Arkansas.”
- Zack Bailey is day-to-day. Cory Helms, Malik Young and Cory Helms are, too.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.