KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer says all positions are wide open for the Vols in spring drills, and he’s eager to watch new football coach Jeremy Pruitt get to work.
Tennessee will hold the first of 15 spring workout sessions on Tuesday, leading up to the Orange and White spring game on April 21.
“Jeremy is a one step at a time kind of guy, and I love it,”said Fulmer, who led Tennessee to the 1998 national championship and the program’s most recent SEC title game appearance in 2007.
“I think this will be a great teaching staff, (and) and I’m anxious to get them on the field.”
Fulmer told Erik Ainge on the former Tennessee quarterback’s radio show on WNML radio Tuesday that he’s more sure than ever that he made the right head coaching hire by choosing Pruitt on Dec. 7.
Fulmer noted the difference between spring drills when he was going 152-52 as Tennessee’s head coach and now.
“If you had an established team, you’re mostly focused on your younger guys, which we were fortunate to do for a long time,” Fulmer said. “Right now, we’re focusing on everybody, every position is wide open.”
Fulmer said he has liked what he has seen from the offseason workouts.
“I watched the workouts from our office,” Fulmer said. “You can see the kids who have worked hard and changed their bodies.
“There’s a lot to look forward to in the daily improvement.”
More Tennessee football stories
- Chris Weinke hire another slick move by Jeremy Pruitt
- Jeremy Pruitt’s favorites including country music and cornbread
- 8 things from 8 Tennessee football players’ pro day
- Jeremy Pruitt has put each player under microscope
- Tennessee football coordinator discusses unsettled QB situation
- Pruitt’s latest update on Tennessee football WR Jauan Jennings
- Tennessee football coach provides update on O-line health
- Pruitt set to create Tennessee football culture
- Distinctive features of Pruitt’s defensive style revealed
- Tennessee football position changes set for start of spring
The post Tennessee football legend Phillip Fulmer: Jeremy Pruitt style ‘one step at a time’ appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.