KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee football game changer Jauan Jennings was back in uniform wearing his familiar No. 15 at the Vols’ practice on Thursday
Jennings, an explosive 6-foot-3 receiver was missed greatly last season after breaking his wrist in Tennessee’s season-opening win over Georgia Tech.
The Vols struggled in the Red Zone with Jennings out last season, leading to close losses to Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky en route to a 4-6 start to the season that led to former coach Butch Jones getting fired.
Jennings attempted to return for the final game of last season, but he grew upset when interim head coach Brady Hoke wouldn’t let him play quarterback in the “wildcat” package in practice, and stormed off.
Jennings took to social media to vent his frustration, a profanity-laced rant aimed at the previous coaching staff.
Former athletic director John Currie, after consulting with Hoke, dismissed Jennings from the program.
Currie, however, was replaced on Dec. 1 after a coaching search snafu, leading to the hiring of Phillip Fulmer.
Fulmer met with Jennings soon after taking charge and said he would be fine with new coach Jeremy Pruitt allowing back on the team.
“If history has any kind of truth to it, he won’t make it, with what he has done before,” Fulmer told SEC Country in January. “But if he changes and listens and learns, and everything, then he’ll get there in the fall. It’s up to him. He can’t blame any other coaches; it’s up to him.”
Jennings underwent an arthroscopic procedure in the offseason Pruitt said, and there are still certain things in place that Jennings must do before his return to the team is complete.
Anger management counseling was part of Jennings’ requirements.
Jennings was on the opening spring roster, and Thursday and was in uniform.
Pruitt is not scheduled to meet with the media again until after Saturday’s practice, at which point he will be asked to update Jennings’ status.
More Tennessee football stories
- Tennessee football QB Jarrett Guarantano in win-win situation
- Performance-inspired relationships key for Jeremy Pruitt
- What Jeremy Pruitt said after spring practice No. 1
- Chris Weinke hire another slick move by Pruitt
- Pruitt’s favorites including country music and cornbread
- 8 things from 8 Tennessee football players’ pro day
- Pruitt has put each player under microscope
- Tennessee football coordinator discusses unsettled QB situation
- Pruitt’s latest update on Tennessee football WR Jauan Jennings
- Tennessee football coach provides update on O-line health
- Pruitt set to create Tennessee football culture
- Distinctive features of Pruitt’s defensive style revealed
- Tennessee football position changes set for start of spring
The post Tennessee football play-making WR Jauan Jennings back in uniform for Vols appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.