KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee saw its 298 scoring in a game streak come to an end Saturday against Georgia.
The Vols dropped to 0-2 in the SEC with losses to Flordia and the Bulldogs.
The offense struggled from the beginning of the game until the very end. The Vols finished with 142 yards of total offense.
Here is what coach Butch Jones said following the game:
- On preparation during the week: I thought our games were ready to play. It’s a compilation thing. If you don’t make the plays early, you have to make them. You won’t win many games with four turnovers. We knew we had to excel in the 50/50 balls on the perimeter and we didn’t. Bye week is coming at the right time.
- On offense: I’m very concerned. We didn’t have any explosive plays. It was as bad of an offensive performance I’ve ever been a part of.
- On what to work on: Everything. We will dissect everything. Everything will be looked at from A to Z. We have to work to get better.
- On what happened to the defense: They were on the field for a long period of time. When you have a team as good as they are and you get a turnover, you have to come away with 7 points. We weren’t able to sustain drives.
- On the offensive struggles: I’ll know more when I watch the video. We need some people to step up. Right now we have to play perfect, and you can’t play perfect.
- On the message to the team: They don’t need to be told it’s unacceptable. You have to get up and go back to work the next day. There is a lot of football left to be played. That’s the only way I know how to do it. We have to be real with ourselves.
- On playing Jarrett Guarantano: We have no starters going into the bye week. It’ll be whoever gives us the best opportunity to win. It’s not just the quarterbacks.
- On Quinten Dormady’s turnovers: I haven’t seen that in practice. It’s a cumulative thing.
- On no catches for Brandon Johnson or Marquez Callaway: They were targeted, we will know more when I watch the video.
The post What Butch Jones said after Tennessee’s 41-0 loss to Georgia appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.