KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee took to Haslam Field Tuesday to begin spring practice.
The coach Jeremy Pruitt practice certainly had a different feel than previous ones under Buth Jones.
Pruitt spoke to the media following his first practice as the head coach.
Here is a recap of the news and notes from Pruitt’s press conference:
- On Quay Picou missing: Defensive lineman Quay Picou has left the team. He will not be with us.
- On first practice as head coach: I’ve got to know where I can help us the most. I’m a defensive coach, so I’ll spend most the time on the defensive side. We’ll watch film as a staff… The defensive staff has all worked together. On the field, I’ll coach on the defensive side of the ball.
- On team adjusting to new practice style: The big thing is the contact. When I say you have to learn how to practice. You have to learn how to strike and have proper body control… Part of it is to sustain, too. We are trying to put them in adverse situations.
- On position changes: They are all willing. They are willing to be strained.
- On putting players in adverse situations: We don’t want guys standing around. We will have different drills going so no one is standing around. There will be constant movement. Everyone takes the same amount of reps so everyone is going to get developed… If you stand there and watch, you aren’t going to get any better.
- On offensive line depth: I don’t know how many guys we had healthy, but we got practice done. Yes, we need people there, though. We’ll have guys back in the fall, though.
- On Princeton Fant: Longterm position, I don’t know. He started at tight end. We’ll give him a shot at running back and we’ll see how it goes.
- On expectations: We’re going to be demanding if they don’t do something the way we want it done. There were some good things and bad things in that regard. And it’ll be like that 10 years from now on day 1.
- On team health: Numbers-wise, we have about as many people as anyone out there. It’s at certain positions. We’ve got to figure out a way to get it done. Our guys have done a good job figuring it out.
The post What Jeremy Pruitt said after Tennessee’s first spring practice appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.