GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida continued its winning ways in SEC play with a 38-24 win over Vanderbilt on Saturday.
The Gators (3-1, 3-0 SEC) endured another change at quarterback as Luke Del Rio was forced out with injury late in the second quarter, giving redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks another turn leading the offense.
Follow along for live updates from coach Jim McElwain’s postgame comments as he recaps the game and discusses the quarterback situation.
- “That was fun. It was one of those games that our guys prepared well for. I thought Vanderbilt came back and really played hard, did some good things, I thought gave us some trouble obviously throwing the football. … I do think our communication was great, and yet we found a way to get them stopped.”
- “Our guys knew what they needed to do and they went out and did it.”
- Injuries: “QB Luke Del Rio will be done. He’ll have surgery on Monday.”
- On QB Feleipe Franks: “I thought he handled it well, and obviously that drive right before half was huge. We’ll be ready to get him and Malik (Zaire) ready to roll, obviously expanding the package with Kadarius bit by bit.”
- “I thought our guys ran hard, and the guys up front are starting to get it. At the end I thought we wore on them pretty good.”
- “Let’s go enjoy this. It’s fun to win. Then we’ll get a chance to put a plan together and get back in The Swamp next week.”
- On Del Rio: “It’s hard. I think he was the one he’s never been through a season on a team that used one quarterback. That’s exactly right. He was actually a bit of a prophet right there. I just feel horrible for him, and yet the guys rallied behind Feleipe.”
- On the offensive line: “I think they got a little confidence the week before in that fourth quarter and kind of decided, yes we can. And it was good to see that.”
- On Franks: “We talked about it all week. Obviously he was disappointed as any competitor would be, and yet when you look at the last game he was one of the (most excited) guys for the win. He handled it like a competitor should and a good teammate should … and yet he knew his time was not done by any stretch of the imagination.”
- “Obviously they’re going to load the box next week with the best players there are, and we’re going to have our work cut out for us.”
- More on Franks, on not being concerned about his psyche after losing job: “No, only because I know how important it is to him and I know how driven he is to be great and also understood. What it does show you more than anything, not only how much he cares about his teammates but his teammates care about him.”
- Injuries: WR Tyrie Cleveland had an ankle injury on top of his ailing shoulder. “I don’t know if he’ll go this week. … Time will tell.” … Brandon Powell (ribs) “made it through. I don’t think he was himself today.” … Khairi Clark “gutted it out but obviously didn’t play the number of plays he has.”
The post What Jim McElwain said after Florida’s win over Vanderbilt appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.