BATON ROUGE, La. — In the wake of LSU’s embarrassing homecoming defeat to Troy, Ed Orgeron had to face the music in his Monday press conference as the Tigers prepare to jump back into SEC play at Florida.
The Gators are perhaps LSU’s most heated rival at the moment, particularly following the ill will that developed between the programs last year when Hurricane Matthew led to a standoff that eventually saw the game moved to Tiger Stadium. The Gators stuffed Derrius Guice at the goal line to hang on for a 16-10 win.
What LSU coach Ed Orgeron said:
- We spent the last two days finding a fix for our problems. Ball security. Overall execution had mistakes by all units at critical times. We need to defend the run better. Need to improve our field goal kicking.
- Christian LaCouture played his best game. That was a positive. Also, Greg Gilmore.
- Top Florida offensive player is Tyrie Cleveland. Very good offensive line.
- Very familiar with their defense because their defensive coordinator is Randy Shannon. He was my graduate assistant at Miami.
- Safety CeCe Jefferson is very explosive. I was involved in recruiting him.
- Execution on offense is a problem. This is Matt’s offense. I stepped in last week for the first time. I wanted to simplify the shifts and motions. I wanted the guys to be in place so we could block them. Matt calls it. He scripts the plays. This is his offense.
- It does look like we play flat at some times. There was a lot of energy in the locker room. Big plays fuel emotion. We fumbled the first play. They scored a touchdown and it took the air out of us. I’ve got to improve that.
- I stepped in for the first time in order for us to have less penalties and better execution. At halftime we felt he had to motion again and shift.
- We have to look at what the defense is giving us.
- Danny Etling is our starter. Hopefully we can go four quarters with him in a very big football game. We don’t plan to play Myles in an SEC game. We were just preparing him in case we need him.
- We’re not playing the way we want to on both sides of the line of scrimmage. You’re playing two freshmen there. On defense our best player is out, Rashard Lawrence. We don’t have Ed Alexander and Frank Herron out there. We couldn’t rotate Glen Logan. We think we’ll have help with Ed and Rashard this week.
- I go to work, say my prayers, drink my coffee, watch film, go to practice. I don’t listen to the news. That’s out of my control.
- Stephen Sullivan has progressed. Drake Davis is coming. The other (young) receivers have a ways to go.
- Right tackle Toby Weathersby, fullback JD Moore and running back Derrius Guice are still questionable.
- (Freshman right tackle) Austin Deculus is not ready to be a starter yet. Physical, smart young man. He’s just not ready to take the snaps yet, we feel.
- We’re going to discuss kicking. I will say this about Jack. He was 5-for-5 in practice on Thursday.
- After I met with them Saturday, Darrel Williams led a players meeting. We need leadership like that.
- I’ve remained the same coach I was as an interim coach. I do the same things every day. Obviously the load is a little heavier. I get it, I was raised here. It doesn’t faze me at all. I’m strong enough mentally to focus on what’s good for this football team.
- Any time you play Florida home or away, guys are going to get revved up. This is a heated rival. We need to understand. But we need to behave better in some situations than we did last year.
- I’m not going to change the practice routine. It’s worked when we played well. It’s about fundamentals and details. It’s about the film room.
- You have five players that are starting in the NFL. Those guys were leaders for us. Those guys were also great players. If you’re trying to lead and not making plays it’s very hard. That’s a combination.
- Tyrie Cleveland has speed, deep-ball ability. Yards after catch.
- On Toby Weathersby: Guys are going to be frustrated, but let’s not take it out on social media. There are better ways of taking it out.
- One guy that’s clearly a team leader is Rashard Lawrence. Clearly. We lost two games without him. You couldn’t ask for a better kid. He does everything right.
The post What Ed Orgeron said in his Monday press conference (Florida week) appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.