Obi Toppin has made a big splash in his first year on the court for the Dayton Flyers, racking up dunks at a furious pace.
Toppin, a 6-9 forward from Mount Zion Prep and Ossining, N.Y., scored the first six points of his career on three dunks in the season opener Nov. 7 against North Florida. He set the Dayton single-game record with eight dunks against Detroit Mercy on Dec. 4. He tied a school record by making 11 of 11 shots in a game against Western Michigan on Dec. 19 and dunked six times in the game.
Toppin made SportsCenter’s top-10 plays with a between-the-legs dunk — maybe the first anyone has ever seen in a game at UD Arena — on Dec. 29 against Georgia Southern.
» FOLLOW THE FLYERS: All the links you need throughout the season in one place
Chris Wright owns the Dayton single-season record for dunks (66 in 2009-10) and the career record (177). Toppin is near the season record and is off to a strong start in pursuit of the career record. Through 24 games, he has 62 dunks among his 140 made field goals. He’s averaging 13.6 points per game, which ranks second on the team. He’s shooting 68.6 percent from the field, which ranks second in the nation.
Here’s a list of Toppin’s dunks (game by game):
Nov. 7, vs. North Florida (Dunks: 4)
1. 19:10: This was Toppin’s first career basket and Dayton’s first basket of the 2018-19 season. He caught a pass from outside the 3-point line, landed with the ball and dunked in his next motion. Assist: Crutcher.
2. 17:46: Toppin’s second dunk, of an alley-oop pass, gives Dayton an 8-3 lead. Assist: Trey Landers.
3. 15:50: Toppin ties the game at 10:10 with his third straight made field goal (all dunks). Assist: Ryan Mikesell.
4. 8:09: A fast-break dunk gives Dayton a 24-21 lead. Assist: Dwayne Cohill.
Summary: Toppin scored 18 points on 8-of-13 shooting in a 78-70 victory. He left the game late in the second half because of cramps.
Quoted: “I see it every day in practice,” sophomore guard Jordan Davis said of Toppin, “so I’m never really amazed. He’s just a pogo stick, always jumping.”
Nov. 10, vs. Coppin State (Dunks: 2)
5. 6:03: Toppin dunks on a fast break to give Dayton a 32-12 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
6. 9:30: Toppin’s basket gives Dayton a 62-26 lead. Assist: Landers.
Summary: Toppin scores 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting in 29 minutes in a 76-46 victory.
Nov. 16, vs. Purdue Fort Wayne (Dunks: 3)
7. 14:48: Toppin dunks on a fast break to give Dayton a 14-13 lead. Assist: Landers.
8. 9:27: Dayton cuts the deficit to 22-20 on Toppin’s fast-break dunk. Assist: Crutcher.
9. 8:46: Toppin scores on a fast break to give Dayton a 74-68 lead. Assist: Jhery Matos.
Summary: Toppin scores eight points on 4-of-7 shooting in 16 minutes in a 91-80 victory.
Nov. 21, vs. Butler (Dunks: 0)
Summary: Toppin scores four points on 2-of-3 shooting in 17 minutes in a 69-64 victory in the first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas.
Nov. 22, vs. Virginia (Dunks: 2)
10. 11:58: Toppin dunks to give Dayton a 41-37 lead. Assist: Landers.
11. 1:29: This unassisted basket cuts Virginia’s lead to 60-56, but De’Andre Hunter hits a 3-pointer on the next possession to all but clinch the victory for the Cavaliers in the semifinals of the Battle for Atlantis.
Summary: Toppin scores 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting in 26 minutes in Dayton’s 66-59 loss.
Nov. 23, vs. Oklahoma (Dunks: 1)
12. 7:52: With Dayton facing its biggest deficit of the first half (26-12), this dunk starts a 7-0 run. Assist: Cohill.
Summary: Toppin scores seven points on 3-of-5 shooting in 16 minutes in a 65-54 loss.
Nov. 30, vs. Mississippi State (Dunks: 0)
Summary: Toppin scores eight points on 4-of-7 shooting in a 65-59 loss.
Dec. 4, vs. Detroit Mercy (Dunks: 8)
13. 14:20: Toppin’s first of a school single-game record eight dunks gives Dayton a 14-11 lead. Assist: Alley-oop from Landers.
14. 13:15: Dayton takes a 16-13 lead with Toppin’s second dunk in three possessions. Assist: Alley-oop from Landers.
15. 10:55: Toppin’s basket gives Dayton a 23-13 lead. Assist: Alley-oop off in-bounds pass. Assist: Jordan Davis.
16. 8:45: Toppin’s dunk caps a 16-0 run. Assist: Crutcher throws pass from outside 3-point line to Toppin, who catches it, lands and then dunks.
17. 0:56: Toppin slams home an alley-oop pass with one hand. Assist: Crutcher.
18. 3:37: Dayton takes an 88-57 lead on his fifth dunk. Assist: Landers.
19. 1:47: This dunk puts Dayton in front by 34. Assist: Frankie Policelli.
20. 1:12: This play was almost identical to the previous dunk. Assist: Policelli.
Summary: Toppin scores a career-high 22 points on 10-of-13 shooting in 25 minutes. He breaks Sean Finn’s school record for dunks in a game with eight. Finn had six dunks against Prairie View A&M in 2003. Dayton also sets a team record with 12 dunks.
Quoted: “Those are exciting plays and they certainly bring energy to his teammates and energy to the fans,” said UD coach Anthony Grant. “They are great momentum swinging plays.”
Dec. 8, at Auburn (Dunks: 2)
21. 9:13: Crutcher misses a 3-pointer from the corner, and Toppin grabs the rebound out of the air and slams it home to trim Auburn’s lead to 74-58.
22. 7:32: Toppin cuts through the lane to catch a pass and dunks to cut Auburn’s lead to 76-63. Assist: Josh Cunningham.
Summary: Toppin scores 10 points on 4-of-4 shooting in 16 minutes in an 82-72 loss.
Dec. 16, vs. Tulsa (Dunks: 1)
23. 5:43: Toppin dunks on a fast break to give Dayton a 27-15 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting in a 72-67 loss.
Dec. 19, vs. Western Michigan (Dunks: 6)
24. 12:45: Toppin’s alley-oop slam gives Dayton a 21-15 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
25. 9:55: Another alley-oop dunk puts Dayton on top 28-19. Assist: Crutcher.
26. 0:40: Dayton takes a 45-31 lead on Toppin’s third dunk of the half. Assist: Crutcher.
27. 8:13: Just like the previous three dunks, Crutcher dribbles into the lane before lofting an alley-oop pass to Toppin. Assist: Crutcher.
28. 7:53: On a fast break, Crutcher throws a pass blindly over his head to Toppin, who finishes off yet another alley-oop. Assist: Crutcher.
29. 0:33: For the final time in this game, Crutcher throws an alley-oop pass to Toppin. This time, he catches it with his back to the basket and dunks without looking at the basket. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin ties a school record by making 11 of 11 field-goal attempts in an 85-72 victory. He ties his career high with 22 points. Six of Crutcher’s 10 assists led to Toppin dunks.
Quoted: “They’re two guys who have really good basketball instincts,” Grant said. “Obi has the ability to get you some easy baskets. He has the ability to run and jump. And Jalen has the knack for making plays. He finds teammates and puts them in position to do what they do best. That combination works well.”
Dec. 22, vs. Presbyterian (Dunks: 2)
30. 0:57: Toppin’s dunk gives Dayton a 42-17 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
31. 2:31: Toppin extends Dayton’s lead to 79-63.
Summary: Toppin scores eight points on 4-of-8 shooting in 25 minutes in an 81-69 victory.
Dec. 29, vs. Georgia Southern (Dunks: 3)
32. 12:48: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass thrown from behind the 3-point line to cut Georgia Southern’s lead to 19-14. Assist: Landers.
33. 0:01: Toppin rebounds his own miss for a put-back slam to give the Flyers a 47-34 halftime lead.
34. 6:05: Toppin gets a pass from Crutcher on the fast break and takes the ball between his legs while in the air before throwing down a dunk. It ranks third on SportsCenter’s top-10 plays of the day. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores his career and season-high 22 points for the third time, making 9 of 10 shots from the field in 20 minutes in a 94-90 victory.
Quoted: “I just felt good leaking out and getting the pass from Jalen (Crutcher),” Toppin said. “I just felt good jumping. I do it a lot in practice, so I just had the confidence to do it.”
Jan. 6 vs. Richmond (Dunks: 3)
35. 3:10: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass thrown from near half court to give Dayton a 25-12 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
36. 0:36: Jordan Davis misses a 3-pointer from the corner. Toppin grabs the rebound out of the air and dunks it.
37. 6:22: Toppin beats everyone down the court and catches an alley-oop pass. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores 16 points on 8-of-14 shooting in 29 minutes in a 72-48 victory.
Quoted: “Oh yeah, he’s the High Flyer,” Cunningham said. “His athletic ability to soar around the basket is amazing. It’s great to know that somebody next to you goes all out every play and can do the things he does.”
Jan. 9 vs. George Washington (Dunks: 2)
38. 13:18: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass from near the 3-point line to trim George Washington’s lead to 25-6. Assist: Crutcher.
39. 8:53: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass after a drive by Crutcher and dunks to give Dayton a 59-58 lead. The Flyers wouldn’t trail again. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores four points on 2-of-5 shooting in 30 minutes in a 72-66 victory.
Jan. 13 vs. Massachusetts (Dunks: 1)
40. 9:40: Toppin gives Dayton a 23-17 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores three points on 1-of-7 shooting in 24 minutes.
Jan. 16 vs. VCU (Dunks: 2)
41. 5:48: Ryan Mikesell misses a 3-pointer. Toppin grabs the rebound in the air and dunks, cutting VCU’s lead to 28-20.
42. 14:06: Toppin finds himself wide open after a defender falls down breaks a 48-48 tie with a dunk. Assist: Landers.
Summary: Toppin scores eight points on 3-of-6 shooting in 17 minutes in a 76-71 loss.
Jan. 19 vs. St. Bonaventure (Dunks: 3)
43. 9:14: Toppin beats a defender off the dribble at the 3-point line and takes it to the basket for a dunk to give Dayton an 18-9 lead.
44. 10:27: Toppin breaks from the 3-point line, cuts through the paint and catches a pass in stride for a wide-open dunk. He cuts St. Bonaventure’s lead to 51-45. Assist: Cunningham.
45. 8:09: In a very similar play to the previous dunk, Toppin cuts through the paint and catches a pass in stride before dunking. The basket cuts St. Bonaventure’s lead to 56-48. Assist: Cunningham.
Summary: Toppin scores 10 points on 5-of-5 shooting in 33 minutes in an 86-83 overtime victory.
Jan. 23 vs. George Mason (Dunks: 1)
46. 12:37: Toppin’s dunk cuts George Mason’s lead to 24-20. Assist: Mikesell.
Summary: Toppin scores 11 points on 5-of-5 shooting in a 67-63 loss.
Jan. 26 vs. Fordham (Dunks: 2)
47. 12:37: Toppin’s dunk off an alley-oop pass starts a 14-0 run and cuts Fordham’s lead to 9-8. Assist: Crutcher.
48. 9:30: Toppin gives Dayton a 56-31 lead on a fast-break dunk. Assist: Davis.
Summary: Toppin scores 19 points on 7-of-11 shooting in his home state as Dayton wins 75-52.
Quoted: “(Family and friends) being in the stands was amazing,” Toppin said. “They hadn’t seen me play in a long time.
Jan. 29 vs. Saint Joseph’s (Dunks: 5)
49. 8:20: Toppin rebounds a missed 3-pointer by Crutcher and dunks, tying the game at 26 after Dayton trailed 26-17.
50. 5:52: Toppin’s putback slam after a missed layup by Cohill gives Dayton a 29-26 lead.
51. 10:18: Toppin cuts along the baseline and catches a bounce pass sent through two defenders. Assist: Mikesell.
» ARCHDEACON: Toppin, Mikesell lead Dayton to win
52. 4:56: With three Saint Joseph’s defenders under the basket, Crutcher misses a floater. Toppin beats everyone to the rebound for a putback slam, giving Dayton a 65-55 lead.
53. 0:32: With the Hawks trying to foul, Toppin waits under the basket and gets a pass for a wide-open dunk, the last basket of the game. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores a career-high 25 points on 11-of-14 shooting in 26 minutes in a 75-64 victory.
Quoted: “Yeah, I tell him all the time: ‘Just for one day! Let me get your hops for one day,” Mikesell said. “I just want to see what it feels like to look down at the rim.’”
Feb. 2 vs. Duquesne (Dunks: 6)
54. 13:25: Toppin splits two defenders with the dribble at the 3-point line and drives to the basket for an uncontested dunk, giving Dayton a 10-8 lead. Assist: Landers.
55. 11:15: Toppin catches a pass near the free-throw line and dribbles through the paint, dunking before any defender can challenge him. Dayton takes a 13-12 lead.
56. 16:35: After the Dukes took an 11-point lead, Toppin dunks on the fast break. Assist: Crutcher.
57. 15:58: This dunk cuts the Duquesne lead to 41-34.
58. 13:54: This fast-break, alley-oop dunk came just after Duquesne had matched its biggest lead of the second half, 45-36. Assist: Crutcher.
59. 2:28: An alley-oop dunk out of an inbounds play under the basket after a timeout gives Dayton a 64-62 lead. Toppin fakes as if he’s going to the 3-point line, cuts back to the basket and the timing on the pass was perfect. Assist: Landers.
Summary: Toppin scores a career-high 26 points on 11-of-16 shooting in a career-high 34 points in a 68-64 victory.
Quoted: “I think it’s just experience,” Anthony Grant said of Toppin’s more consistent play. “The more you play, the more you learn, the more you grow. He’s a guy that loves the game. He’s a guy that plays with a lot of emotion and energy, and he’s really talented.”
Feb. 5 vs. Saint Louis (Dunks: 1)
60. 1:11: Toppin scores Dayton’s second-to-last basket with the game well out of reach.
Summary: Toppin scores 11 points on 2-of-6 shooting in a 73-60 loss. He makes 7 of 8 free throws.
Quoted: “We started him the last game in the second half and felt it was something we wanted to look at today,” Grant said of moving Toppin into the starting lineup.
Feb. 9 vs. Rhode Island (Dunks: 2)
61. 6:01: Toppin dunks to give Dayton a 31-11 lead. Assist: Landers.
62. 4:57: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass to give Dayton a 33-14 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting in 32 minutes in a 77-48 victory.
Quoted: Rhode Island coach David Cox spoke to the Providence Journal about Toppin: “We knew the talent was absolutely there. When we were looking at him we were mesmerized by the talent and the skill level overall from that young man. He’s displaying it right now, and he hasn’t even begun to show the perimeter game.”