Gareon Conley has released a statement one day after news broke he is the subject of a sexual assault investigation in Cleveland.
Through his lawyer, the former Ohio State cornerback denied the allegations he raped a woman in a hotel room in early April.
“The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don’t fit my character at all,” the statement reads in part. “I realized that I put myself in the situation and I could have used better judgement. However I have worked tirelessly to put myself in position to have the honor of being an NFL draft pick and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL draft.”
No charges have been filed against Conley, who canceled plans to attend the draft, which begins Thursday night in Philadelphia.
He had been projected as a first-round pick and called the allegations “an attempt to ruin this once in a lifetime experience for me and my family.”
Conley also says “several witness, including another female, who were present the entire time and have given statements that give an accurate account of what took place.”
He also referenced the existence of video evidence that “discredits and disproved other versions of these events.”
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.