- That said, I think Nguyen overstates the impact of the talent of Haskins' receivers. The YAC they produced certainly inflated his passing yardage, but their YAC also increased significantly once they had a quarterback who could throw the ball on time and accurately more often. And while those guys can fly, they did not do a whole lot of going up to get 50/50 balls for him, so he had to put it in the right place for everything to work.
Ohio State quarterback says he showed enough on film in one season as a starter to be a franchise QB at the next level.
- In case you forgot fullbacks are awesome, Kyle Shanahan is here to remind you.
- Fullback got pigeonholed into being mostly a sixth offensive lineman in a lot of offenses in the 1980s and '90s, but for the majority of time football has existed fullbacks could do many things besides block. With spread offenses forcing defensive personnel to sacrifice some bulk for speed and coverage ability, there is a great opportunity to have a second back who is a blocker first but can carry the ball or catch it because he doesn't have to match up with 250-pound dudes anymore so he can be a little smaller and more athletic, too.
- Shouldn't Dayton and UNC-Wilmington have an annual rivalry game? Or would that be giving too much respect to North Carolina's laughable "first in flight" boasting?
- Men's college basketball would benefit from going to quarters and reducing the number of TV timeouts.
- I like how the hippie is the one who sells out the whole civilization in Trolls.
- Been traveling a lot lately, so I have been subjected to more ESPN than usual since the hotel TV channels are more limited. Has anyone considered the problem with SportsCenter might be the anchors? I don't watch it much but when I do I'm almost never entertained. Wasn't that kind of what made the whole show back in the day? I mean yeah we can watch highlights whenever we want on our phones now, but seeing them on a 45-inch screen is still better than seeing them on a 4.5-inch screen. And even when information wasn't instantaneous we watched sports highlights shows to be entertained again by stuff we already knew if it was presented in an interesting way. Remember how people used to watch the same SportsCenter multiple times? It wasn't because they forgot who won.
"Random Thoughts" is a semi-regular feature here at this blog. While most of our other coverage is concentrated on news and analysis, this is a place to share opinions and have some fun. Have your own thoughts? Send them along to email@example.com or find us on Twitter or Facebook.