After an outcry from the British government, President Donald Trump on Thursday ordered an internal investigation by the U.S. Justice Department, to find out who leaked information about the probe into this week's terrorist attack in England, saying those responsible for the leaks should be "prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."
"The alleged leaks coming out of government agencies are deeply troubling," the President said in a statement issued in Belgium, his latest stop on a nine day overseas trip.
"These leaks have been going on for a long time and my Administration will get to the bottom of this. The leaks of sensitive information pose a grave threat to our national security," Mr. Trump added.
Mr. Trump, who has voiced his frustration with intelligence leaks throughout his first four months in office, made clear he wants to find the source of the leak, as photos of evidence from the scene made their way on to the front page of the New York Times, angering British investigators.
"I am asking the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to launch a complete review of this matter, and if appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," the President said.
"There is no relationship we cherish more than the Special Relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom," Mr. Trump added in his statement.
Earlier in the day, the President did not answer questions from reporters about the leak, which involved forensic evidence from the bombing scene.