Shopping for a new garage door can be a challenge. Whether you’re looking for an aesthetically sound garage door, extra insulation or one for better security, it may be best to consult a professional.
Your Better Business Bureau can help you find a trustworthy garage door company to help get the job done right.
Over the last year, almost 308,000 inquiries and more than 500 complaints were recorded about garage door companies with your BBB nationally. Locally, nearly 9,000 inquiries were recorded during this same time period.
When choosing a garage door company, your BBB recommends these tips to find a reliable one:
• Consider a company’s reputation and years of service.
• Shop around and get several quotes. Don’t settle for the lowest bid.
• Don’t be intimidated by a company pressuring you into making a quick decision.
• Be wary of anyone showing up in an unmarked vehicle or going door-to-door. Do your homework before hiring on the spot.
• Visit home shows. This is a great opportunity for you to speak with company representatives face-to-face.
• Avoid garage door companies without physical addresses. A reputable company will have a physical address. Be sure to verify it.
• Request References and be sure to take time to contact them.
• Ask if the company will be using subcontractors. Don’t hesitate to ask the garage door company to meet them and ask for their references too.
• Determine if the company belongs to a professional organization, like the Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA). Professional organizations typically offer continuing education.
• Get a written contract, detailing the work to be completed, including verbal promises, warranties and guarantees. Don’t sign anything until all blanks are completed.
• Never pay in full up front.
• Consider paying by check or credit card. Avoid someone only accepting cash.
• Make sure the company is licensed, bonded and insured as appropriate.
• Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to inquire about something if you don’t understand.
If you have any questions regarding garage door companies, you can always get help from your BBB, such as a list of BBB Accredited garage door companies and Business Reviews on ones you’re considering. For more information, visit www.bbb.org or call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.
John North is president of the Dayton Better Business Bureau.