Keeping your home or business clean from grime and/or buildup can be a challenge. Whether you’re cleaning the whole house or just a patio, tackling these tasks may be best left to a professional. Your Better Business Bureau offers tips of what to look for when hiring a power washing company.
Chris VanDenabeele of Performance Power Washing says “Make sure they are using high-quality commercial equipment and not a small-pressure washer purchased from a big box store. Those are not meant for continuous use and are frankly inferior to high quality equipment.” VanDenabeele also says, “Start your Web search by using the appropriate keywords: power washing; pressure washing; house washing; deck washing based on your needs.”
Over the last year, your BBB recorded more than 500 inquiries locally about power washing companies. Across North America, more than 112,000 inquiries were filed with your BBB against companies in this industry.
Your BBB offers tips for finding a trustworthy power washing company:
• Shop around and compare. Get several bids detailing the work to be done, cost and payment terms. Make sure they offer free estimates.
• Get recommendations from friends and family. If they’re pleased with who they’ve used, most likely you’ll be too.
• Ask for references. Don’t be afraid to contact them or even ask to look at the work completed.
• Narrow your search by reviewing contractor websites. Look for before/after photos, testimonials and list of services provided.
• Find out if the company is a member of any associations such as the Pressure Washing Resource Association. Look for these logos and BBB logo on Web sites.
• Ask how the contractor meets EPA regulations and guidelines regarding run-off water, preventing clean water contamination.
• Be sure the power washing contractor is appropriately licensed, bonded and insured.
• Ask about cleaning products used. Some cleaning products can be dangerous or hazardous.
• Watch out for companies offering quick solutions or using misleading statements, high pressure or scare tactics
If you have any questions regarding pressure washing companies, you can always get help from your BBB. For more information, visit www.bbb.org or call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.
John North is president of the Dayton Better Business Bureau.