New details emerge on Kettering man in fatal police shooting

Police released more information on Mitchell Simmons, 24, who was shot and killed by an officer responding Saturday night to a report of domestic violence in the Chatham Village Apartment complex.

Simmons was employed by Wright-Patt Credit Union at the time of his death, according to a police report released Monday afternoon.

MORE: Kettering police shooting: Officers tried to revive man at scene, neighbor says

Simmons also was an Ohio University graduate, according to the Registrar’s Office in Athens, which said he received two degrees while there - an associate’s degree in applied science in 2015 and a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice in 2016.

Simmons graduated from Beavercreek High School in 2012, the school confirmed Monday afternoon.

The 24-yer-old female victim of the alleged domestic violence was taken to a local hospital for treatment of her injuries, according to Lt. Michael Gabrielson.

MORE: Kettering police shooting: 911 dispatchers praised for work under pressure

“We do know the female victim did receive treatment at a local hospital, but she wasn’t transported by a medic,” Gabrielson said. “There were no injuries to the officers who responded to the scene.”

He added that the investigation is ongoing, so some details won’t be released now, as the case will get prepared to go to the prosecutor and eventually a grand jury.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office officially ruled Simmons’ death a homicide Monday afternoon, saying he died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds.

The latest report released Monday afternoon revealed further details of what officers encountered Saturday night were released.

RELATED: Kettering police shooting: 5 things we know now

The officer arrived on the scene at 5114 Scarsdale Drive in the Chatham Village Apartment complex and forced entry into an apartment after hearing what police reports say were a woman’s cries for help. Simmons was killed when the officer returned fire, police said.

Shortly after 11 p.m., “officers called to the residence by a neighbor advising of a possible male and female fighting,” the report states. “An officer arrived on scene and could hear the argument and advised dispatch he was forcing entry into the apartment. Gunfire was exchanged and first aid rendered. The male, suspect of the domestic violence, was pronounced deceased.”

About the Author