Chief: Smoking materials lead to Piqua house fire

UPDATE @ 6:19 p.m.: Discarded smoking materials are the probable cause of the house fire in the 300 block of Third Street in Piqua, the fire chief said.

The chief said the homeowner began using a garden hose on the fire before crews from Piqua and Covington arrived. The fire was believed to have started on the second floor of the two-story home.

While fire departments don’t recommend that people break out the garden hose on a house fire, the chief said the homeowner probably saved the residence from more serious damage.

No damage estimate was available as the fire remains under investigation, the chief said.

There were no injuries.


Crews are battling a fire in the 300 block of Third Street.

Firefighters from Piqua and Covington were dispatched about 5:34 p.m. We have not heard whether there are any injuries.

We have crews on the way and we’ll continue to cover this developing story.

Click here to download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather.