» RELATED: Air Force chief of staff praises community response to tornado at Wright-Patt
The National Weather Service has confirmed 15 tornadoes touched down in Ohio on Memorial Day, including an EF 4 tornado with winds up to 170 miles-per-hour cutting across the greater Dayton region at spe.
At least 50 vets have contacted the commission so far, Landers said. The commission, Landers said, is trying to process applications for the aid as quickly as possible and is scheduling appointments with vets interested.
People who may know a vet whose home was damaged should encourage them to apply, Landers said.
“A lot of people don’t want to ask somebody for help, especially veterans,” he said.
FIVE FAST READS
• Stories of Survival: Brookville couple feels ‘lucky’ to be alive after tornado outbreak
• State proposal could lower college tuition for active duty military
• Cash-strapped Wilberforce University trying to raise $2M by June 30
• Fundraising email calling congresswoman a terrorist was sent in UD student’s name
• Payroll Project: See how much Wright State’s top paid employees make