Smoke in school leads to two-hour delay

Spring Hill Elementary School was on a two-hour delay today after an exhaust-fan overheated.

Fire crews were at the school at 860 Ormsby Drive around 8:30 a.m. today and were investigating the building’s attic and roof. Mutual aid that had originally been requested was canceled.

This is the second time smoke has appeared in a Xenia school u less than two weeks.

On Oct. 25, students at Warner Middle School were sent home after smoke filled two of the classrooms. Insulation caught fire after a malfunction with a heat exchanger that was being worked on, said Xenia Schools Superintendent Dr. Deb Piotrowski.

Two workers were able to put the fire out before fire crews arrived, which caused heavy smoke.

The building was evacuated, and students taken to the nearby Nazarene Community Center to be picked up.

Warner was back in session the following day.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X