2 dead, including gunman, 1 injured in shooting at University of Kansas Medical Center

A man who was shot Monday night while trying to get into the University of Kansas Medical Center after he was injured in another shooting has died, according to police.

Hospital officials said the man, who was not identified, drove himself and a woman to the hospital after they were shot around 11:30 p.m. at Osage Avenue and South 7th Street. After the second shooting, the gunman turned the gun on himself, firing a fatal shot, the Kansas City Star reported.

Here are the latest updates:

Update 1:35 p.m. EST Dec. 4: Kansas City police Chief Terry Zeigler confirmed in a tweet that the man injured Monday night in a shooting at KU Medical Center has died.

Authorities said the man drove himself and a woman to the hospital after they were injured in a shooting about three miles away. Police believe the shooter followed the pair to the hospital, where he shot the man again around 11:30 p.m., as he was trying to get inside.

Officials at KU Medical Center said it’s standard protocol to lock hospital entrances after 8 p.m. for the safety of patients.

“The shooter never gained access to the hospital,” said Chris Ruder, chief operating officer of the Kansas City division for The University of Kansas Health System.

Authorities have not identified the victims. Zeigler said Tuesday that the shooting appeared to have stemmed from a domestic dispute.

Update 6:32 a.m. EST Dec. 4: According to police in Kansas City, Kansas, a man and woman were hurt in a shooting about 11:30 p.m. Monday. Their attacker followed the pair as they drove to the hospital, authorities said.

The Star reported that the gunman shot the injured man again as he tried to enter the hospital. The gunman then shot and killed himself, police said.

The male shooting victim was critically injured and likely will not survive, police told the Star.

Read more here.

Original report: An active shooter was reported early Tuesday at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas, according to the University Daily Kansan, citing police and a text message alert from the hospital.


By 12:36 a.m. CST, police said the shooter was "contained," the student-run newspaper reported.


>> Read more trending news

Kansas City police Chief Terry Zeigler tweeted at 12:44 a.m. CST that officers were “working a homicide at the ER entrance of KU Hospital.”


Please return for updates.

About the Author