Administration asks again for border security funding

The request seemed likely to fall on deaf ears as neither party showed an appetite to revive an issue that’s faded from the spotlight as arrivals at the border have dropped dramatically.

Johnson said in a statement that without $1.2 billion in additional funding for 2015, he will be forced to take money from other accounts, such as $405 million moved earlier this summer from the disaster relief fund.

“This reprogramming is not sustainable, and leaves the nation vulnerable to unacceptable homeland security risks,” Johnson said.

“Though the worst is over for now, there are still bills to be paid, and our border security efforts must be sustained to prevent another spike like we saw this year,” he said.

A spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said the House had already dealt with the issue by agreeing to a smaller sum prior to Congress’ five-week summer recess, which ended Monday. “Now, it is up to Senate Democrats to act,” spokesman Michael Steel said.

The House Republican bill included policies opposed by Senate Democrats to return migrant children back home more quickly without hearings, so no deal was ever reached on President Barack Obama’s $3.7 billion request for the border, and no final bill passed.

But now that arrivals of Central American children have dropped, lawmakers can avoid addressing the contentious issue while November midterm elections are around the corner. Aides in both parties say the issue is on the back burner and looks likely to stay there for the couple weeks Congress is in session ahead of the election. At most, the administration might get some additional spending flexibility it’s asked for in a temporary government funding measure slated for votes in the next two weeks.

In his statement, Johnson noted that only 3,141 unaccompanied kids crossed the border illegally in August, compared with a high of 10,622 in June as the crisis peaked. August’s number was the lowest since February 2013.

The administration took a number of steps to respond to the crisis, and Johnson’s memo listed some of those, including reassigning immigration judges, speeding removals of adult migrants and launching public relations campaigns meant to discourage people from coming. But much of the reduction is seasonal as the summer heat has traditionally discouraged migrants, and it’s not clear how much of an impact the administration’s policies had. Experts also say the numbers may start rising again, though likely not until early next year.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X