Oklahoma firefighter injured after responding to blaze at house filled with ammunition

A firefighter was injured Saturday when ammunition inside a home went off during a house fire in southeastern Oklahoma.

Officials with Latimer County Emergency Management said Buffalo Valley firefighters responded to the blaze in a home that contained guns and ammunition. According to the department's Facebook page, "The ammo started popping off and shot one fireman in the face and head area."

The firefighter was airlifted to a Tulsa hospital, KOKI reported.

According to the Facebook post, the Buffalo Valley fire chief was so upset after the explosion that he began having chest pains and was also airlifted to a Tulsa hospital.

The conditions of the firefighters are unknown as of Monday, KOKI reported.

About the Author