Ryan Newman, who survived a horrific crash at the Daytona 500 race, said he plans to return to racing at some point.
Steve Newmark, president of Newman’s racing team, Roush Fenway Racing, said at a news conference Sunday that the racer’s objective remains to win the 2020 series Cup championship.
“We do not have a timetable for Ryan’s return," Newmark said. "I can tell you that his timetable is that he wants to be back as soon as possible.”
Newmark read a statement from Newman, who said he did not suffer any broken bones or internal injuries -- but did suffer a head injury -- after his final-lap crash at Daytona International Speedway last week. He walked out of the hospital two days later.
“There are concerns with medical privacy laws, but ultimately Ryan wants to be the one to deliver the updates on his condition to (the media) himself when he has the opportunity,” Newmark said.
Newmark thanked NASCAR officials and racing fans for the support Newman and the team received after the driver’s final-lap crash at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 17.
Ross Chastain will fill in for Newman on the NASCAR circuit, Newmark said at the news conference.
“Ryan wants to figure out how he can get back here, get that waiver, win a race and get into the playoffs," Newmark said. “The minute Ryan is given the green light to be back at the track, even if it’s not to race, he will be back here."
Newmark also commented on Newman’s sense of humor, noting that the driver, who was recovering at the Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, asked for doughnuts from his family after he was examined by doctors.
“There is truth to the rumor that once Ryan found out there were doughnuts available in the medical center, he asked his dad to go downstairs and get him one," Newmark said.