Pennsylvania Amber Alert: Missing toddler found dead

Update 8:30 a.m. EDT Sept. 5: Nalani Johnson's death has been ruled a homicide, but the cause of death has not been determined, officials said.

Officials are reviewing the little girls' medical records and are conducting tests, The Associated Press reported.

There were no visible signs of trauma when the 2-year-old's body was found Tuesday. Police said she was kidnapped Saturday evening, police said.

Sharena Islam Nancy has been charged with kidnapping of a minor, custodial interference and concealment of the whereabouts of a child, the AP reported.

Original story: State police and the FBI have discovered the body of abducted toddler Nalani Johnson during a search in Blairsville, Pennsylvania.

>> Read more trending news

Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty said the body of Johnson was found in Pine Ridge Park in Blairsville, about 37 mileseast of Penn Hills, where authorities allege the girl was kidnapped Saturday evening.

Nalani was abducted Saturday night, and investigators have spent the past few days searching from Penn Hills to Blairsville.

Sharena Islam Nancy, 25, who authorities say had been romantically involved with the child’s father, remains in custody in Allegheny County on charges of kidnapping of a minor, custodial interference and concealment of the whereabouts of a child, all felonies.

Police said Nalani, her father and a friend of the father were in a vehicle driven by Nancy on Saturday night.

During that ride, Nalani's father and Nancy had an argument, at which time police said he got out of the vehicle with his friend, but she drove off before he could get his daughter.

While being interviewed, she allegedly told police Nalani was being sold by her father for $10,000.

According to investigators, there is no evidence to support Nancy's version of events.

Dougherty indicated that there may be additional arrests.

"Make no mistake, we are working very hard to ensure the individuals involved are brought to justice," he said.

Dougherty said there is not believed to be any on-going threat to the public.

An autopsy will be performed Wednesday to determine how Nalani died.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

About the Author