10-year-old girl dies after choking on snack at school; family seeking answers

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

caption arrowCaption
Girl dies after choking on snack at school; family seeking answers

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

A 10-year-old girl from Worcester, Massachusetts, has died after choking on a snack in school in what the city's mayor calls a tragic accident.

Explore>> Read more trending news

Family members told WFXT that Marilyn Ofobi Korankyewaa died earlier this month after she choked on a piece of food during snack time at the Belmont Community School. She died days later.

"This was a tragic event and an accident, and my heart and prayers go out to the family," said Worcester Mayor Joseph Petty.

Marilyn's uncle told the TV station that they are still looking for answers and have received support from Petty during this difficult time.

"I know the superintendent and the principal. I've met with the family and the principal met with them several times," Petty said.

Petty added that grief counselors will be sent to both the Belmont school and funeral services this week. The family is asking the school for a detailed report of the aid that the girl received after choking. City and school officials are both working with her parents at this time.

"We talked about any next steps we need to take with the family," Petty said. "We'll do that after the services on Friday."

In the meantime, school officials are not commenting for the sake of the family's privacy.

"She was a brilliant young lady, a rising star and a great personality, so it's just a big loss for the city of Worcester, big loss for the church and big loss for the school," Petty said.

Services will be held Thursday and Friday for Marilyn.

About the Author