1. The Ohio Department of Agriculture issued a permit for The Fire Ball to Amusements of America, a carnival operator, on July 26, according to state documents obtained by this news organization.
2. The Fire Ball swing riders 40 feet about the fair midway — the area where games, rides, entertainment and food booths are grouped — and spins them at 13 revolutions per minute, according to the company website.
3. The state’s chief ride inspector, Mike Vartorella, said he and his four-person crew signed off on the Fire Ball. Vartorella called The Fire Ball "a spectacular piece" of equipment on Wednesday.
4. The Fire Ball received a “satisfactory” rating on its daily inspection report on July 26. The inspection report includes a total of 25 points of inspection that must be reviewed daily including checking the attachment brackets on the seat; making sure the ride will not start with a seat fault light on; and checking operational controls, according to state documents obtained by this news organization. .
RELATED: Ohio State Fair ride accident: How common are festival ride accidents?
5. The Fire Ball debuted in 2002 and is one of Amusements of America’s most popular thrill rides, according to the company’s website.