RELATED: Sweeping police reforms pitched in new Ohio legislation
There are few universal recommendations, but there is some overlap:
• Ban or severely limit choke holds.
• Ban or severely limit use of tear gas.
RELATED: Dayton NAACP leaders reveal 8-point proposal to reform criminal justice system
• Increase police officer basic and ongoing training, particularly for de-escalation and recognizing implicit bias.
• Require independent investigations for officer-involved shootings and death in custody.
RELATED: DeWine calls for ban on choke-holds, creation of law enforcement oversight board
• Require reporting to the state for use of force incidents.
• Increase transparency to officer discipline and disciplinary files.