3 Troy homes evacuated for natural gas leak

UPDATE @ 12:25 a.m. (June 3)

A woman picking strawberries outside her aunt’s home Thursday night noticed a strong smell of natural gas, which led firefighters to evacuate three neighbors’ homes for more than two hours.

When Troy firefighters responded around 9:45 p.m. to the 900 block of South Walnut Street, one house was full of natural gas. The homeowner apparently left the knob to her gas oven on when she left, said Tim Haywood, platoon commander for the Troy Fire Department.

Vectren turned off gas service to the home, and crews had to ventillate the home. No injuries were reported, but Haywood said it was a potentially dangerous situation.


Neighbors homes were evacuated tonight after a natural gas smell was reported at a Troy home.

The home owner reported a possible gas leak around 10 p.m. in the 900 block of South Walnut Street, Miami County Sheriff’s dispatch said.

Vectren has been called to the home.

No injuries are reported, and according to initial reports, windows are open inside the home with the possible leak.