Next week Miamisburg will mark its 200th anniversary with a Founder’s Day celebration at the Baum Opera House.
The sold-out event will be Feb. 20 – two centuries to the day after Miamisburg was founded in 1818.
Here are five things, according to the Miamisburg Historical Society, to know about Miamisburg:
• It was founded after four Pennsylvania men - Emanuel Gebhart, Jacob Kercher, Dr. John Treon and Dr. Peter Treon - offered at public auction the sale of 90 lots in the new town of Miamisburg.
• Teddy Roosevelt is the only known sitting president to visit Miamisburg.
• Construction of the Mound Golf Course in the 1930s was a federal government New Deal project.
• Miamisburg was the childhood home of the McGuire Sisters, a vocal trio that rose to national fame in the entertainment industry in the 1950s and 60s. Their mother was a local minister.
• The Miamisburg High School Alumni Association is the oldest continuously active high school alumni association in the in the nation.