The story behind Wright-Patt’s Estabrook Road

Estabrook Road on Area A at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is named for Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. The road runs from Wright-Patterson Medical Center to Turtle Pond. U.S. AIR FORCE PHOTO/MATTHEW CLOUSE

Credit: 88th Air Base Wing Public Affair

Combined ShapeCaption
Estabrook Road on Area A at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is named for Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. The road runs from Wright-Patterson Medical Center to Turtle Pond. U.S. AIR FORCE PHOTO/MATTHEW CLOUSE

Credit: 88th Air Base Wing Public Affair

Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. was Patterson Field commander, 1939-43

This is the another in a series of stories on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base’s streets and the military pioneers with Ohio ties behind them

Estabrook Road, located on Area A of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and running from Wright-Patterson Medical Center to Turtle Pond, honors Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr.

Estabrook was born July 12, 1886, in Boston. He graduated from Harvard University in 1909 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. After spending years as a mine operator, he joined the Army in 1917.

Combined ShapeCaption
Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. served 27 years in the Army. He served as commander of both Patterson Field and Fairfield Air Depot from 1939 to 1943. AIR FORCE LIFE CYCLE MANAGEMENT CENTER HISTORY OFFICE PHOTO

Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. served 27 years in the Army. He served as commander of both Patterson Field and Fairfield Air Depot from 1939 to 1943. AIR FORCE LIFE CYCLE MANAGEMENT CENTER HISTORY OFFICE PHOTO

Combined ShapeCaption
Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. served 27 years in the Army. He served as commander of both Patterson Field and Fairfield Air Depot from 1939 to 1943. AIR FORCE LIFE CYCLE MANAGEMENT CENTER HISTORY OFFICE PHOTO

During his 27-year military career, he achieved the rank of brigadier general and served as commander of both Patterson Field and Fairfield Air Depot from 1939 to 1943.

“General Estabrook commanded Patterson Field (now WPAFB Area A) and its primary tenant, the Fairfield Air Depot, during the largest expansion the base had ever — and would ever — see,” said Kevin Rusnak, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center chief historian. “New facilities for leadership, maintenance, training, support and overhaul were all built in these years.”

Some of the buildings constructed during his tenure were:

· 10 — now 88th Air Base Wing headquarters

· 70 — now home to Wright-Patt’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response team

· 146 — now Area A fire station

· 206 — now 88th Operations Support Squadron headquarters

· 219 — now Air Force Marathon Office

· 257 — now mobility bag storage

· 258 — now the U.S. Postal Service

· 262 and 262A — now Air Force Materiel Command headquarters

“Brig. Gen. Estabrook reportedly worked day and night managing all of this growth, but the pace aggravated his health conditions,” Rusnak added. “After giving all he had for four years, he was transferred to Air Service Command headquarters at Patterson Field in 1944 to relieve some of his stress, but he retired for health reasons just a few months later.”

Estabrook retired from active duty due to a disability Aug. 31, 1944. He passed away three years later on Dec. 19, 1947.

Combined ShapeCaption
Bldg. 10 on Area A at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base was one of the many buildings constructed while Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. was commander of both Patterson Field and Fairfield Air Depot. The building serves today as 88th Air Base Wing headquarters. U.S. AIR FORCE PHOTO/MATTHEW CLOUSE

Credit: 88th Air Base Wing Public Affair

Bldg. 10 on Area A at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base was one of the many buildings constructed while Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. was commander of both Patterson Field and Fairfield Air Depot. The building serves today as 88th Air Base Wing headquarters. U.S. AIR FORCE PHOTO/MATTHEW CLOUSE

Credit: 88th Air Base Wing Public Affair

Combined ShapeCaption
Bldg. 10 on Area A at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base was one of the many buildings constructed while Brig. Gen. Merrick Estabrook Jr. was commander of both Patterson Field and Fairfield Air Depot. The building serves today as 88th Air Base Wing headquarters. U.S. AIR FORCE PHOTO/MATTHEW CLOUSE

Credit: 88th Air Base Wing Public Affair

Credit: 88th Air Base Wing Public Affair

About the Author