Accused I-75 shooter requests to see crime scene photos

Froman, 41, of Illinois, is accused of fatally shooting his 34-year-old ex-girlfriend, Kim Thomas, in the back of his SUV on the interstate near Middletown, and her 17-year-old son in Kentucky on Sept. 12. Froman faces charges including aggravated murder and kidnapping, in both states.

During a hearing in Warren County Common Pleas Court earlier this year, Defense attorney Melynda Cook argued her motion asking the judge to lift a designation of “counsel only” on more than 800 evidence photos and videos, including a body camera video from one of several law enforcement officers who approached Froman after he allegedly shot Thomas and shot himself in the leg.

“We spent 30 minutes trying to describe a photo to him because we could not just show it to him,” Cook said.

A 2010 law allows for some evidence, such as photos of victims in stages of nudity, to be viewed only by counsel and not by the defendant or others involved in the case.

Warren County Judge Joseph Kirby lifted the restriction in a decision filed May 13 for defense experts in the case, but has not yet ruled on the request concerning Froman.

A three-week capital murder trial is scheduled to begin Aug. 17 before Judge Joseph Kirby in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

Cook said it is essential that Froman be permitted to view evidence to prepare his case and she can assure she and co-counsel would collect the photos before leaving the jail.

Froman is scheduled to be back in court on June 17 for a pre-trial hearing. He is being held without bond at the Warren County Jail.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.