The United States Air Force is celebrating its 71st year today.
The Air Force was separated into its own military branch in 1947 during peace time, just a few years after the end of World War II. Today the Air Force has more than 50 installations around the U.S., including Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton.
» RELATED: Wright-Patt active shooter scare remains unclear a month later
The Air Force’s birthday generated several tweets and responses from leaders online including one from President Donald Trump who this morning posted “Happy 71st Birthday to our GREAT United States Air Force!” on Twitter.
Here are some of the top tweets celebrating the Air Force’s 71st birthday.
» RELATED: Air Force leaders call for more planes and airmen to confront adversaries
FIVE FAST READS
• Area college welcomes largest freshmen class in its history
• Turner calls Trump ‘shortsighted’ over cancelled pay raise for federal workers
• Wright State faculty union threatens to strike in October
• Trump’s Space Force proposal could impact NASIC at Wright-Patt
• WATCH: Police body camera footage shows chaos at UD on St. Patrick’s Day
THANKS FOR READING
The Dayton Daily News is committed to bringing you independent, in-depth local stories. Help support our journalism by signing up for a print or digital subscription.