A grease fire forced the evacuation of an apartment building on Newport Road Friday evening.
A Xenia Fire Deputy Chief told News Center 7 that there was heavy smoke coming from the building at 580 Newport when firefighters arrived just after 9 p.m.
“The occupant had been frying some fish with some grease in a pan and left it. Went to check on their kids when it ignited,” he said.
The woman attempted to extinguish the fire herself, but then evacuated. In total about 10 people had to evacuate the building.
The fire damage was contained to the kitchen of the one apartment, but there is smoke damage throughout. The family in that apartment will not be able to stay there, but there was no damage estimate available Friday night.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.