Boy in stable condition after gasoline container ignites at Darke County bonfire

ajc.com

UPDATE @ 4:17 a.m.

An 11-year-old boy is in stable condition after suffering multiple burns in a bonfire accident at a graduation party, according to Darke County Sgt. Shawn Trissel.

The boy was injured when a gasoline container ignited after two teens attempted to start a bonfire at the Bulcher Road address.

Trissel said one of the teenagers was pouring gasoline on the fire when the flames spread to the gas container.

After throwing the container away from the fire, it landed and ignited on the 11-year-old, burning the child's chest, arms and legs.

The teenager who threw the container smothered the fire on the child with a bear hug, according to Trissel.

Trissel said this is the second incident within the last few weeks where a child has suffered burn injuries as a result of people using gasoline to start bonfires.

UPDATE @ 10 p.m.

An 11-year-old boy who suffered burns to his face and arms tonight was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital.

The boy’s mother called for help from the 8000 block of Bulcher Road in Patterson Twp., north of Versailles, according to the Darke County Sheriff’s Office dispatch.

The severity of the boy’s injuries is not known, nor how he became injured. Deputies also were called to investigate the incident.

FIRST REPORT

A CareFlight medical helicopter was called tonight for a boy reported to be suffering from severe burns.

Crews were dispatched around 9 p.m.

According to initial reports, the boy, about 11, was burned by fire. It’s  not known yet how the boy was injured, nor his condition.

Download our free apps for breaking news and weather