Rolling flames and a plume of smoke coming from a bus carrying Madison Schools students Tuesday afternoon sent calls to Butler County dispatchers.
“We have got a bus that they say is on fire out on Middletown-Germantown Road,” Larry Osborne of the Madison Schools transportation department told 911 operators in a call placed at 3 p.m. “The bus overheated and the driver just called in and said it has caught on fire around the engine.”
Osborne told the dispatcher that the students who were on the bus had been moved to another bus “out of the way.”
A man also called at about the same time and told dispatchers, “There is a school bus on fire, like fully engulfed in flames on Middletown-Germantown Road. There are flames shooting all over the place.”
No Madison Schools students were injured when the school bus caught fire in the 7000 block of Middletown-Germantown Road, according to the Butler County Sheriff’s Office.
All of the students were evacuated safely off the bus, which suffered major damage.
Madison Schools Superintendent Lisa Tuttle-Huff said the district is working with Petermann, the transportation service, to investigate the incident.