A major challenge for firefighters was a lack of water supply because there are no hydrants in the area, Johnson said.
Although the weather was clear at the time of the blaze, it was breezy.
"The wind has contributed to some of the fire; however, the fire was well involved in the building before any of the crews arrived," said Battalion Chief Nathan Hiester of the Beavercreek Fire Department, one of 10 responding departments from three counties — Greene, Montgomery and Warren.
Between 50 and 70 spectators, most of them members, were either on the grounds when the fire broke out or gathered upon hearing the news. One man stood with his arms crossed over his chest, commenting he had just played a round of golf that morning. Other members said they were stunned as they watched flames devour the building.
Prospective members Bill and Kelly Stone of Centerville said they had drinks in the clubhouse, met with staff and were looking at applications on Sunday afternoon.
"We decided to play nine holes and check it out," Kelly Stone said. "Teed off, got up to the green and turned around and saw the smoke."
The fire quickly spread, she said. "The flames popped out through the roof and then it just engulfed the entire building."
The camaraderie among members and their interactions with people at the country club has only bolstered the Stones' impression of the club.
"We're still planning on joining on Monday," Kelly Stone said. "They've still got a great golf course and golf carts, and that's all you really need."
In the May fire, a historic barn, also built in 1900 was destroyed, along with Sugar Valley's fleet of 49 gasoline golf carts and golf clubs belonging to some members.
More than 50 firefighters responded Sunday afternoon to the country club, where Johnson said crews were to remain overnight to douse hot spots.