The hospital also said it recommends that people 12 and older get vaccinated against the coronavirus.
How do masks prevent the spread of COVID-19?
When worn correctly, face masks create a barrier that reduces the spray of a person’s spit and respiratory droplets. Masks also can protect you from others who may have coronavirus but are not showing symptoms and who could come within 6 feet of you, which is how far respiratory droplets can travel when people sneeze or cough or raise their voices.
In order to be effective, masks should:
- Cover both the nose and mouth
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the sides of the face
- Be secured with ear loops or ties
- Have multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for unrestricted breathing
- Be washed and dried carefully after use