Deputy Matthew Yates: Funeral services today in Clark County

Clark County Deputy Matthew Yates died in the line of duty on July 24, 2022. CONTRIBUTED

Combined ShapeCaption
Clark County Deputy Matthew Yates died in the line of duty on July 24, 2022. CONTRIBUTED

Funeral services for Matthew Yates. the Clark County sheriff’s deputy who died in the line of duty eight days ago, will begin at noon today at First Christian Church at 3638 Middle Urbana Road.

Burial will occur at Ferncliff Cemetery, 501 W. McCreight Ave., according to Littleton and Rue Funeral Home.

ExploreCommunity turns out for visitation of slain Clark County deputy

Yates was born on Nov. 25, 1980, to parents Eugene and Lisa (Williams) Yates. He leaves behind a large family, including his wife Tracy, whom he first met at Osterlen Services for Youth and his daughter, two sons, his parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers, in-laws, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts and cousins.

“Matthew was a very loving husband, father, son, brother, and friend,” his obituary read.

He served with the sheriff’s office for 15 years.

The funeral procession today will begin at First Christian Church and will end at Ferncliff Cemetery, the Ohio Department of Transportation and Clark County Sheriff’s Office said on their Facebook pages.

Explore‘It’s showing love’: Clark County continues outpouring of support for family of fallen deputy

Road closures will occur at the following areas for the procession this afternoon:

  • U.S. 68 northbound ramp to S.R. 41
  • U.S. 68 northbound and southbound ramps to S.R. 334
  • S.R. 41 between Upper Valley Pike and Bechtle Avenue.

Mourners wishing to pay their respects are expected along the processional route. Fire trucks with raised aerial ladders are expected to display the American flag.

Yates, 41, was shot and killed at Harmony Estates Mobile Home Park after deputies responded to a reported shooting. After Yates was shot inside a mobile home, a SWAT standoff ensued. Officers later breached the mobile home and grabbed Yates. Shortly after, the mobile home erupted in flames that destroyed it.

Two other people died in the events, 27-year-old Cole White, who lived at the mobile home, and his 47-year-old mother Jodie Arbuckle, of Springfield. Relatives have said Arbuckle went to check on White, who had been having mental health problems. The relatives believe White shot Arbuckle and later Yates.

Officials have not confirmed that account and continue to investigate the tragedy.

ExploreGrieving mother: Deputy Yates’ death like losing another son