Caption

2 boys sentenced for school bomb threats

Two more Warren County students were sentenced on Monday for making threats against their schools.

The boys, 12 and 14, were charged in two of the most recent threats this school year at schools in Warren County. They spent a total of 19 days in the Juvenile Detention Center (JDC).

“If students continue to make these threats, they are going to continue to spend time in JDC,” County Prosecutor David Fornshell said in a text message after Monday’s sentencings.

RELATED: School threats growing nationwide problem

Last year, about a dozen threats in the final weeks of the school year in the Springboro-, Lebanon- and Waynesville-area districts prompted a range of responses, including evacuations and the closing of Springboro High for one day.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Cincinnati Reds move Scott Schebler to lead-off spot
  2. 2 Death of veterinarian near Yellow Springs shocks community
  3. 3 Xeyrius Williams announces decision to play for Akron Zips

Now there have been a handful of cases this year in the Springboro, Kings and Little Miami districts, as well as cases around the area and the rest of the U.S.

“Good grief, what in the world is going on?” Judge Joe Kirby said during a February hearing in the Springboro case.

RELATED: School threats growing nationwide problem

On Monday, Kirby ordered the letter-writing during hearings held in Warren County Juvenile Court in cases stemming from threats made at Springboro Junior High School and Little Miami High School.

Both boys were also placed on probation and ordered to do 20 hours of community service, engage in counseling and barred access to weapons. Each is also required to continue reporting to a day-time program at the detention center in Lebanon until allowed to return to school, to undergo counseling and pay $65 in court costs.

The 14-year-old Little Miami student was also sentenced for drug abuse and given credit for 13 days spent in detention. He made his threat on March 7 at the high school outside Morrow.

DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APPS FOR LATEST BREAKING NEWS

The 12-year-old from the Springboro district also received credit for six days in juvenile detention for making the threat on Feb 2 at Springboro Junior High.

RELATED: Springboro student avoids jail for bomb threat

Neither district offered comment on the cases.

Ed Perry, defense lawyer in the Springboro case, complimented Kirby and the school district for allowing the boy to continue his education, while expelled, thus barred from attending class in the district.

“Given the circumstances, we were happy with the outcome,” said Perry. “I do think the sentence imposed will make him a better person.”

FOLLOW LAWRENCE BUDD ON TWITTER

More from Daytondailynews