Did you know?
- Six inches of standing water is enough to stall most vehicles. Six inches of fast-moving floodwater can knock over and carry away an adult.
- One foot of water can float a vehicle and if it's rushing, it can carry it away.
- Two feet of water not only can float most vehicles including SUVs, vans and trucks, but can also be swept away in the current.
>>More than 2,600 power outages reported in region after heavy rain, wind
If for some reason you find yourself trapped in your vehicle while stuck in floodwaters, here are a few options:
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground.
- Do not leave the car if the water is moving around you.
- Turn your headlights and hazard lights on so emergency personnel can see you.
- Unbuckle your seat belt and unlock the doors.
- Roll your window down slowly
- If water is rising inside the vehicle, seek refuge on the roof.