House fire fed by fuel in Harrison Twp., displaces family

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
Firefighters put out house fire on Payne Avenue

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

UPDATE @ 8 p.m.:

A fire that displaced a Harrison Twp. family this evening was fast-moving and hot because it was fed by fuel, Battalion Chief Terry Overman of the Harrison Twp. Fire Department said.

“We do believe that it was an extension cord that shorted out, and there were gas cans in the area ... it went up fast, it was very hot -- it melted some metal, it melted some copper,” he said.

>> Miami Twp. police: Man made false active shooter call to distract police, help wanted suspect escape

The gas was stored in approved plastic containers, but they were placed on top of the cord that shorted out. Overman said it’s best to store the approved gas containers inside fire-resistant cabinets in the garage or shed.

The furnace room, storage area of the home sustained significant damage, which Overman said he estimated at between $10,000 and $15,000.

UPDATE @ 7:20 p.m.:

A fire that broke out this evening at a single-story home may be electrical, fire officials said at the scene.

The fire caused extensive damage inside the house, and has displaced the family. All occupants were able to escape without injury, officials said.

FIRST REPORT

Flames were reportedly showing from a house tonight when crews responded.

The fire was reported just before 6:30 p.m. at the residence in the 4200 block of Payne Avenue in Harrison Twp.

>> New lounge for traveling military members opens at Dayton airport

According to initial reports, all occupants were able to escape unharmed from the single-story home.

We will update this report as we learn more details.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

About the Author