SPECIAL REPORT: Justice in the Jailhouse: Lawsuits, accusations plague county jails in the region
The committee will soon examine proposals from five firms to conduct an operations study to help guide eventual recommendations for changes at the jail, the focus of a number of lawsuits by former inmates claiming mistreatment already costing the county more than $1 million.
RELATED: County spending on jail lawsuits tops $1M
The committee was formed in March as calls for a federal civil rights investigation into jail operations grew louder. Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer is a non-voting member of the 10-member committee.
RELATED: Montgomery County creates jail oversight committee
Justice Advisory Committee for the Montgomery County Jail
- Rabbi Bernard Barsky, retired from Beth Abraham Synagogue
- Dr. Gary LeRoy, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, associate dean for Student Affairs and Admissions
Other committee members:
- Branford Brown, Miami Valley Urban League executive director,
- Michael Carter, superintendent of school and community partnerships at Sinclair Community College
- Stephanie Cook, city of Dayton Law Department
- Rev. David Fox, retired chief of police at Wilberforce University who represents the Dayton unit of the NAACP
- Judge Gregory Singer, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court
- Carol Smerz, CEO and president of South Community Behavioral Healthcare.
Ex officio member:
- Phil Plummer, Montgomery County Sheriff