Grease fire leads to serious burns at Carlisle home

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
RAW: House fire in Carlisle

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m.

A kitchen grease fire left a man with serious injuries Saturday morning and caused thousands of dollars in damage to the residence.

Fire Chief Joel Holbrook said smoke was coming from a home when firefighters responded to the 500 block of Robert Simmons Drive.

"Shortly after 10 a.m. we were dispatched to a possible house fire and when I arrived I found the single-story residence had smoke showing from the garage and the front door," Holbrook said. "The occupant was on the front porch and I noticed that he was burned. So, once we ensured that the fire was contained ... I let dispatch know that we needed EMS."

WATCH: Fire consumes Chevy Corvette on interstate

The man in his early 20s was making food when a grease fire got out of hand.

"It appears that he was cooking on the stove top and the grease that he was using caught fire. He went to reach for the pot and in the process of trying to take the pot outside he dropped it and the grease splashed up on him," Holbrook said. "He was transported to Miami Valley Hospital with pretty significant burns to both his upper and lower extremities and both hands."

Damage from the fire is estimated to be between $5,000 and $6,000, according to Holbrook. He added that kitchen fires are pretty common.

WATCH: Heavy smoke pours from barn fire in Fort Loramie

"They are one of the top reasons we have house fires in the United States," Holbrook said. "If you do have a fire, make an attempt to cover it up with a lid, do not grab the pot, do not spray water on it. If you don't have a fire extinguisher nearby, leave the structure and call 911. There are a lot of lessons to be learned today."

The home is not safe to be lived in due to smoke damage and odor from the fire.


A man was left with serious burns in a grease fire that happened this morning at a home in the 500 block of Robert Simmons Drive in Carlisle.
Crews encountered smoke coming from the kitchen area when they arrived on scene shortly after 10 a.m., according to a Carlisle fire official.

The man was cooking when flames got out of control. He tried to remove the pot from the stove and it splashed grease on his arms and legs, the official said.

The man was taken to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment.

The man lives there with his grandparents. Everyone has been displaced for at least the night to allow the home to clear from the smoke.

Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather

About the Authors