Hamilton teen indicted for murder in summer shooting death of 19-year-old

A Hamilton teenager has been indicted for murder and tampering with evidence in the shooting death of a 19-year-old in June.

Michael Smith Jr. was indicted by a Butler County grand jury on Wednesday in connection with the shooting death of Shon Walker in Hamilton.

Walker, 19, was shot point blank just after 9 p.m. on June 27 in the 400 block of East Avenue. Following Smith’s arrest, the Journal-News looked into his background and found a history in juvenile court.

According to juvenile court documents, Hamilton police say the teen had a firearm and shot Walker several times on June 27, then concealed the weapon in his clothing and put it in a sewer.

The incident was caught on video, and a witness identified the teen as the “shooter,” according to court documents.


The accused teen has been incarcerated in the Juvenile Detention Center three times previously, according to juvenile court records.

In September 2015, Smith was arrested by Hamilton police for inducing panic and three counts of assault. He spent two months in JDC, was placed on house arrest and ordered to serve 40 hours in the work program, have no weapons of any kind and write an apology letter. He was also was placed on probation and ordered to undergo counseling. An Airsoft gun was used in the offense.

The teen was charged in August 2018 with aggravated menacing by Hamilton police. The charge was amended to disorderly conduct. He spent about 30 day in JDC. He was placed on home incarceration and ordered to complete 20 hours of the work program.

In November 2018, the teen had a probation violation and was again placed on home incarceration. Two months later in December 2018, he was charged with a curfew violation and served another 30 days in JDC. He was also ordered to continue counseling, complete 20 hours of work program and given a 6 p.m. curfew.

In June, the teen also violated probation and was ordered to complete another 12 hours in the work program. On Tuesday, he was taken into custody on another probation violation and charged with murder two days later.

About the Author