When unwanted or unused pills are dropped into the bag and water is added, the solution in the bottom of the bag renders the drug unusable. The bag then is sealed and is safe to go into a landfill.
ADAMHS received a $50,000 state grant to collaborate with Goodwill/Easter Seals Miami Valley to purchase and distribute 5,000 drug disposal bags.
In addition to being handed out with prescriptions at Kroger, the bags can be picked up at Goodwill/Easter Seals locations.
RELATED: 5 key events that spurred Ohio’s opioid epidemic
Summit County has led the way in using the drug bags, distributing 40,000 bags last year. It’s one of the best practices Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s Heroin Unit is aiding more counties to implement. Summit County estimated that if every bag was used as directed, more than 1.3 million pills would be off the streets.
Although most communities have drug drop off days or permanent drop boxes available to dispose of unused medication, there are many people who can’t travel to take advantage of those opportunities.
RELATED: Overdose deaths in Montgomery County focus of national news
The bags are also intended to prevent people from flushing medications down the toilet, which puts dangerous drugs into the the water supply, ADAMHS said.
The following Kroger locations will distribute the bags:
- Kroger 722, 10101 Landing Way, Miamisburg
- Kroger 754, 4506 Brandt Pike, Huber Heights
- Kroger 758, 7747 Old Troy Pike, Huber Heights
- Kroger 836, 3520 W. Siebenthaler Ave, Dayton
- Kroger 923, 1095 S. Main St., Centerville
- Kroger 747, 780 Northwoods Blvd, Vandalia
- Kroger 751, 1027 S. Smithville Rd, Dayton
- Kroger 759, 155 N. Heincke Rd, Miamisburg
- Kroger 960, 5400 Cornerstone North Blvd, Centerville
- Kroger 825, 2115 E. Dorothy Lane, Kettering
- Kroger 931, 2917 W. Alex Bell Rd, Dayton
- Kroger 933, 1934 Needmore Rd, Dayton
- Kroger 938, 885 Union Rd, Englewood
And the following Goodwill Stores are participating:
- Goodwill Store — 6868 Miller Ln, Butler Township
- Goodwill Store — 950 Miamisburg- Centerville Rd, Centerville
- Goodwill Store — 501 E. Fifth St, Dayton –(Oregon store)
- Goodwill Store — 606 Taywood Rd, Englewood
- Goodwill Store — 5058 Brandt Pk, Huber Heights
- Goodwill Store — 7590 Brandt Pk, Huber Heights (Sulphur Grove)
- Goodwill Store — 1040 Patterson Rd, Dayton
- Goodwill Store — 1970 E. Dorothy Ln, Kettering
- Goodwill Store — 1258 E. Central Ave, Miamisburg
- Goodwill Store — 5400 N. Dixie Dr, Dayton (Northridge)
- Goodwill Outlet — 1750 Woodman Dr, Dayton
- Goodwill Easter Seals Main Headquarters — 660 Main St. (Donation Center only)
MORE OPIOID EPIDEMIC COVERAGE:
Ohio Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor opens up about her sons’ opioid addictions
How Mexican drug cartels move heroin to Ohio streets
Ohio gets $26 million to fight opioids
Stark numbers show heroin’s local grip
2016 deadliest year for overdoses, fentanyl deaths more than double