Man burned in Hamilton house fire

A man working to restore a home in Hamilton was burned in a fire Thursday afternoon.
Caption
A man working to restore a home in Hamilton was burned in a fire Thursday afternoon.

A man working to restore a home in Hamilton was burned in a fire Thursday afternoon.

At about 3:30 p.m., the Hamilton fire department — along with units from Fairfield Twp. and Ross Twp. — responded to a fire in the 700 block of Cereal Avenue, according to Hamilton firefighters.

MORE: Hamilton residents took back their neighborhood. Now they’re sharing how to fight crime in yours.

When Hamilton crews arrived, smoke was coming from the home’s front door. Hamilton crews quickly extinguished the fire, officials said.

Trevor Snider, Hamilton fire investigator, said the man was using gasoline to clean flooring when fumes from the water heater ignited the gas and flashed over.

The home’s owner was burned and drove himself to the hospital. No other occupants or firefighters were injured, and the damage to the house was limited.

Damage estimates are approximately $3,000.

The fire is currently under investigation, but is considered accidental.