Crews give oxygen to calf rescued from Darke County barn fire

UPDATE @ 7:40 p.m.:

A calf and several kittens were rescued tonight from a barn fire.

The calf suffered minor burns and from smoke inhalation, said Liberty Twp. Fire Chief Mark Loy.

“We administered oxygen to the calf and it seems to be OK,” he said.

Neighboring crews from the New Madison Fire Department arrived first, and were able to contain it to the front area of the barn that was used as a milking parlor, Loy said.

“We were originally dispatched to a fully involved barn fire with livestock inside. Further information came from dispatch that the building was fully involved and also that people could see it from a distance away, so right away I called for a second alarm being that we out in the country.”

>> WATCH: Smoke so heavy from Darke County Fairgrounds fire, it appears on Doppler 7 Radar

Crews contained the fire to the one area, and Loy estimated damages at less than $25,000.

He said the rest of the barn had pigs and also feed and hay, and that cows were in a nearby building.

“This was a good result for the way it sounded when it was originally dispatched,” he said.


Crews from multiple fire departments were called tonight to a blaze at a barn with livestock reported inside.

The fire was dispatched shortly before 6 p.m. in the 2900 block of Harrison Road in the Hollansburg area of Darke County.

A second alarm was called for the fire, according to the Darke County Sheriff’s Office.

We have a crew on the way and will update this report as we learn details.

Got a news tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

About the Author