During Keith’s sweep in April, five credit card skimmers were found in Montgomery County.
Although no skimmers were found during this sweep, Keith wants to remind consumers to be careful when getting gas.
“Consumers should not be worried, but they should be cautious and vigilant while filling up at the pump. If you witness suspicious activity, do not hesitate to contact the authorities,” Keith said.
He is recommending consumers take the following measures to protect their financial information from skimmers:
- Pay with cash, the safest option
- Use a debit card rather than a credit card. It's easier to challenge fraudulent charges when a credit card is used
- Use pumps closest to the attendant, as criminals often target the pumps farther away
- Monitor bank, credit card statements frequently
- Report anything that indicates a pump has been tampered with.
For more information, visit www.mcohio.org/StopSkimmers.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.