Man from Dayton SWAT standoff ID’d as ‘person of interest’ in Indiana homicide

The man involved in a standoff in Dayton outside an apartment building on Arnold Place on Thursday has been named as a person of interest in a Indiana homicide.

  • Andrew Alcorn, a person of interest in a Indiana homicide, shot himself in the head; He's in a hospital
  • Detectives went looking for him at an apartment on Arnold Place Thursday morning.
  • Paige Millikan, identified as the Alcorn's girlfriend, was taken from the building in handcuffs
  • SWAT, police fired hundreds canisters of tear gas, less lethal rounds into the building

UPDATE @ 3:10 p.m. (April 12):

Police have identified the man taken on a stretcher from a Dayton apartment following Thursday’s standoff as Andrew Alcorn, 40.

Alcorn is a person of interest in Lafayette police investigation into the shooting death of Ronald Whiles, 61, in their city April 7, Lt. Matt Gard said.

>> Indiana police release details of homicide, but haven't named suspect

Alcorn was listed as a patient at Miami Valley Hospital on Friday afternoon. His condition was not available.

A woman arrested during the standoff has been identified as Paige Millikan, 34. She has been booked into jail on charges of suspicion of inducing panic, tampering with evidence and obstructing official business.

Lafayette police are hoping to speak to Alcorn about the homicide case. He has not been charged.

UPDATE@6:30 a.m. (April 12):

We called the Lafayette, Ind., police this morning for additional details about the suspect, including is name. But they declined to release any new information.

UPDATE @ 9:20 p.m. (April 11): A man wanted in a Indiana homicide shot himself in the head to end the 9-hour SWAT standoff at an apartment building on Arnold Place in Dayton, police Maj. Christopher Malson said.

The man, whose name has not been released, is in Miami Valley Hospital. His condition is not known, Malson said.

“He was alive when he left here,” the major said.

Dayton police will be presenting several charges to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office for approval, Malson said.

A woman who was in the apartment building with the man was taken from the building and placed under arrest. She has been taken to the Montgomery County Jail, but she is not believed to be connected with the homicide, Malson said. She is believed to have ties to the Dayton area. Malson did not release her name.

The standoff came to an end about 6:43 p.m. when medics entered the apartment building with wheeled stretcher in tow and came out with the man strapped to it.

Malson said SWAT knew they could enter Apt. 112 because they had been watching the man during the entirety of the standoff.

“We were able to determine he was incapacitated. We had eyes on him and we could see he was in need of medical attention.” Malson said.

The apartment is not the man’s, the major said, and police are working to determine who actually rents the unit. He said he’s not sure how detectives in Indiana tracked the man to Dayton.

>> PHOTOS: Standoff at Dayton apartment, homicide suspect may be inside

Detectives went to the address about 10 a.m. Thursday, looking for a man they believe was connected to a homicide in Indiana.

Malson said SWAT and a police department Hostage Negotiation Team callout was initiated when the man refused to come out of the apartment.

The man fired several rounds at police, the major said, but no officers were hit.

“Once he started firing shots at us, throughout the afternoon, we wanted to make sure we brought him out in a safe manner for our officers. That’s why we had such a large response,” Malson said.

About 3 p.m., SWAT fired at least 70 canisters of tear gas into the apartment building.

TRENDING: Security guard accused of child sex crimes while on duty at Dayton rec center

Earlier in the day, officers used bull horns and sirens in demanding that the man come out of the building and surrender.

Everybody who was in the building when police arrived was evacuated, Malson said. Police helped one person out through a window because the person’s unit was directly across from the unit where the man and woman were holed up.

There were no injuries to any police officer or anyone else police are aware of, the major said.

We will continue to update this developing report as we learn more.

If you have a news tip, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to

DID YOU KNOW THERE'S AN ELECTION MAY 7?: Find out what's on your ballot in our voters guide

About the Authors