Dayton superintendent: Students ate candy-like sleep aid, weren’t hospitalized

UPDATE @ 1:15 p.m.: 

Two students at Belle Haven Elementary School were evaluated by medics after ingesting a gummy form of an over-the-counter medication designed for sleep aid, according to Dayton Public Schools Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli.

LOCAL WEATHER: Track the latest conditions with Live Doppler 7 Radar

A student brought in three ZzzQuil gummies, which contain melatonin, to be shared with two other friends, Lolli said in an emailed statement.

Medics were called and parents were notified after two of the students reported feeling sick, Lolli said.

“(Medics) determined that the children did not need to be transported to a hospital based upon learning that the ‘gummie’ was melatonin,” Lolli said.

“This is an isolated event in the building and no other students were involved.”

The student who brought in the ZzzQuil will face discipline by the school, according to Lolli.


Dayton police and medics have responded to Belle Haven Elementary School after three students reported feeling sick after eating candy, according to emergency scanner traffic.

Three medic units were dispatched to the school at 4401 Free Pike in Dayton around 11:30 a.m. after receiving the report.

TRENDING: Dayton, other Ohio cities rank in ‘Top 50 Bed Bugs’ list

A school resource officer called 911 after the illnesses were reported. All three students reported feeling dizzy and “woozy,” the SRO said in a 911 call obtained by this news outlet.

The candy was brought in by one of the three students who reported feeling ill, according to the 911 call.

Representatives from Dayton Public Schools have not immediately returned requests for information.

We’ll update this page as new details become available.

About the Authors